I guess it's been a couple of weeks since I posted anything on this page, but as mentioned in my last post, I've been pretty involved in purchasing a new home and my day job as a painter has also kept me pretty busy. At least I've been been able to keep up with my 365 Project.
I have a little free time this Saturday morning, so I thought I'd share a few tidbits of my life as of late. I said tidbits, not Timbits. Mmmm Timbits... Ahem, sorry. I shouldn't write when I'm hungry.
- Megan and I are about 5 weeks away from taking possession of our new condo. We'll move in about 3 weeks after we take possession because we need time to have the floors done and for us to paint the place. It's easier to do those things when the place is empty. The other upgrades we want to do can be done while we live there.
- I'm looking forward to painting our new home. It will be nice to paint for myself and take my time to do the job the way we want it done. Megan and I are still trying to decide what colours to go with. The nice thing about working in the trade is that I can get paint and supplies quite easily and at contractor pricing. Bonus!
- No pressure or anything, but I'm going to have to make sure I do a good job. Some of my friends are painters and will be invited to our housewarming party...
- Work is going quite well for me so far this season. I'm no longer working the night shift at the DND Hazmat building on the Navy base and have been bouncing around from one job site to another for the past few weeks. As time goes on there are more and more places I can look at on a map of Victoria and say "I worked there!"
- My supervisors seem to really like me and have really done their best to keep me working. I've also earned their trust over the past few seasons and that makes me happy. No longer do I have supervisors looking over my shoulder telling me to paint a certain way or to go faster. They just tell me what to do and do it as I see fit.
- I'm the type of person who will ask questions if I'm not sure about something and ask for assistance when I need it. I also take responsibility for any mistakes I do make and clean up after myself.
- The difference between a pro painter and an amateur is that a pro will clean up his or her mistakes before anyone else notices.
- I like the fact that I'm always doing different things and I'm always gaining new skills. It's hard to believe that only 4 years ago I was working in a call center for an American cell phone company doing the same robotic tasks day in and day out.
- I still cringe whenever I see one of that cell phone company's commercials, or any of those Jamster ads.
- One thing that makes me sick to my stomach is the oil rig disaster in the Gulf of Mexico. Isn't that heartbreaking? I'm old enough to remember the Exxon disaster in Alaska 20 years ago and they're still cleaning that one up. This new one is shaping up to be the worst ever! I don't give a crap about the financial losses of the oil company. I'm worried about all those birds, sea creatures, and other animals that live down there, as well as the livelihoods of the people who make their livings fishing in the gulf.
- The world really needs to ween itself from it's dependency on fossil fuels.
Well, my friends, I'm out of things to say for now. I'm hungry and need to eat something before Megan and I embark on another busy day leading up to the big move. People to go, places to do, things to see, etc... (I messed that up on purpose :P ) I'll try to get back into blogging more often once the dust settles.
The Wandering Oak