Thursday, February 25, 2010

Night Owl On A Boom Lift

   Hi friends!
   It's been a very long time since I've had to work late shifts and it takes some getting used to, but I am adapting. At one point in my life I used to be quite the night owl, but in recent years I've settled nicely into a routine of being up at dawn, working all day, and having my evenings with my wife. Now I only get to see her briefly in the mornings before she goes to work. She's usually fast asleep by the time I get home around midnight.
   At first we were upset over this new arrangement, mainly because it was somewhat sprung on me by surprise, but we discussed it and came to the consensus that work is work. If we want to be able to buy a home this year it's better to be working than to be sitting at home idle and collecting E.I. And the schedule isn't that tough. My late shifts are from Tuesday to Friday. I'm home earlier on Saturdays, and I'm off Sundays and Mondays.
   There's perfectly logical reasoning behind our new schedule. It's much easier for us painters to do what we need to do when all the other trades have gone home for the night. We're applying some smelly products (don't worry I wear a respirator) and that requires some considerable preparation, not to mention drying time.
   My tasks have so far revolved around the preparation end of things: masking and hanging plastic and paper over things we don't want to get paint on, then tearing down the masking after the other guys have painted. It's not a glamour job, but it's not that bad either. I have less exposure to the paints and I get to drive around the place on cool machines like scissor lifts, articulated lifts, and the classic boom lift just like this model.
Courtesy Google Images.

   What I like about the company I work for is that they provide on the job training for operating these machines. Once I proved to them that I can run them competently and safely I've been pretty much left on my own to do whatever needs to be done.
   I admit, I'm not one of those guys who can whip these things around and drive them at high speeds. Most of the time I dial the machine down to turtle speed (yes, there's actually a picture of a turtle on the panel) and really only dial it up to rabbit speed when I've got a lot of open space. I don't like that jerky feeling of the boom swaying really fast. The slightest movement on the ground translates into a big movement 60 feet up. It's kind of like working on a diving board! (Don't worry, I wear a fall safety harness.)
   My brother, who is really scared of heights, told me there was no way he could do my job. To me it's no big deal as long as I feel comfortable that whatever I'm standing on is secure. I'm actually far more relaxed in the basket of one of those lifts than I am on a wobbly ladder. Trust me, people, you'll NEVER see me doing things like these guys:

*Note the Jorts!


   Well that's enough writing about work. It's time I get ready for work. Have a good day/evening/night!

The Wandering Oak

5 comments:

  1. It looks like great fun to operate that gizmo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those who operate a scissor lift or any other form of heavy equipment for that matter, should always exercise extreme caution to avoid any kind of mishaps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great work by you.. lift are make helpful in working in high place.. which people feel make safety in working in lift.. update more.. we are Boom Lift Rental .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our articulated boom lifts are state of the art and replaced should they fall into disrepair to minimise the potential danger, because the equipment is expensive we often look online for any great seasonal deals quotes that we can take advantage of.
    If it wasn’t for the fact that there was such an awesome online market for this kind of equipment we wouldn’t have kept up with our budget so well. I highly recommend that before you buy any such equipment that you look online for a better price.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...